At this time tomorrow I will be on this beach — my favourite place in the world.
I won’t be writing for at least a week, because our return isn’t scheduled until Tuesday, August 9th. I couldn’t be happier about it all! I’m working on some blog posts now that will auto-post later (so you won’t miss me too much while I’m gone…), so I won’t even be thinking about blogging, or working, or Portland for the whole time that we’re gone! Here’s what I’ll be doing instead:
- Waking up to bright sunlight seeping in through my Grandmother’s pale floral curtains.
- Listening to the lapping of the lake growing to a crescendo in the afternoon then ebbing into the night.
- Ringing the dinner bell to bring family in from the beach when the BBQ is ready.
- Holding LG’s hand and guiding her through the New Hampshire forest while I teach her about animals.
- Spending afternoons rocking in the hammock under pines and devouring one book after another.
- Teaching my city boy the difference between a canoe and a kayak.
- Then listening to his music as it glides across the lake (and waiting for anonymous applause on the other side).
- Bare feet on sand.
- No streetlights or passing cars.
- Building perfect campfires and eating more perfect s’mores.
- Swimming at night when the water is warmer than the air.
- Collecting native berries and popping them directly into our mouths.
- Taking walks and listening to the crunch of the road beneath our feet.
- Not touching a computer or TV for a week. Playing cards late into the night instead.
- Laying on the roof for an amazing view of the milky way.
- Watching a field glow with fireflies.
- Using the birds as alarm clocks and the loons as a lullabye.
- Smelling sweet, fresh air effortlessly.
- Doing dishes by hand while my honey dries and puts them away.
- Lazing in the shade while I catch up with friends and family.
- Making mental brackets for badminton.
- Smiling at the echo of laughter across the lake.
- Floating around under blue skies with my eyes closed.
- Coming inside only for snacks, bathroom, and bed.
- Living in my bathing suit.
Please get outside and enjoy this summer, too