On most mornings, I have an incredibly hard time starting my day. I’m one of those wake-up-at-the-last-minute-so-I-can-run-around-the-house-to-get-my-daily-exercise type of people. And thus, my breakfast is rushed.
It’s because of this that I have gained such a fond appreciation of cereals. They’re quick, they’re simple, they’re filling if you top them with fruit and maybe pair it with a yogurt or some such business.
Here’s our local version of it…
4 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (non-local — 80% rule)
1 teaspoon almond extract (non-local — 80% rule)
1/2 teaspoon salt
– Preheat oven to 325 degrees
– Mix the wet ingredients in a large bowl
– Pour in the salt and oats, then mix thoroughly using a rubber spatula
– Spread the mixture out on a shallow baking sheet
– Bake for 10 minutes
– Remove from oven and mix the granola around
– Bake for another 10 minutes
– Remove and let cool! It will get crunchier as it cools. Store in an airtight container and use within 2 weeks. Freeze for longer storage.
- Add dried fruit or nuts if you want! We added dehydrated strawberries to ours
Hope this helps ease your way into the day!